Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Zero Degrees and Drinking the Kool-Aid

It's Wednesday Night Decompressing for Clare.  Similar to Monday Night Sushi, only completely different. 

First of all, I was in Omaha, Nebraska today where the high was 19 degrees and the low was 0.  Yes, the low was ZERO.  When I checked the temperature around 10:00 a.m.today?  It was 1.  ONE!  It doesn't compute.  Like, it confuses me.  1 degree?  What?  I don't understand.

So, related to that, I arrived at my hotel in Omaha on Monday around 6:00 p.m. and did not leave the hotel until today around 3:00.  Yes, I was inside, without a hint of fresh air or sunshine, for 45 hours.  I think this was wise.

And guess what?!  Those closed-toe shoes I got?  I got many compliments on them.  The wing-tip looking ones.  The streak continues.  Even a middle-aged sales guy said "At some point in our session today I noticed your shoes.  Those are really cool shoes!"  Thank God. .

I have noticed an interesting phenomenon lately.  I turned 38 in January.  I think I've mentioned that a time or two.  At this meeting in Omaha, a couple of times in conversation it would come up that I have a daughter.  And people would say "Oh you have a daughter!  How old is she?!"  And I would say, "She'll turn 11 in April."

And I've been getting shocked faces and weird looks for that.  So then I say "I'm 38.  It's legit."  And THEN people are like...

"Whoa...wha...huh...you're THIRTY-EIGHT?  MY GOD YOU DON'T LOOK THIRTY-EIGHT!"

First of all, something about 38 triggers some response that 37 didn't.  I'm totally serious.  I've had these conversations before.  And before January 1st of this year when I would say "I'm 37.  It's legit,"  people would just say, without shock and a weird look "Oh.  You look great.  You don't look 37."  It was a very normal conversation.  Lately I feel like I've been needing to defend myself.  Yes, my daughter is almost 11, but I swear I didn't have her when I was sixteen.  It's strange.  It's strange enough to where I'm not even totally eating it up as a compliment.  The thing is, no, I don't look 38, like I've said before.  But I don't look less than 30 either.  It's weird.
The Kool-Aid logo.

And yes I am totally drinking the Kool-Aid at my job.  I am just back from a sales-type conference and I'm hooked.  The meeting had the intended effect on me and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I've never worked for a gigantic corporation like the one I am working for now, and I am totally digging it.  I am excited to get to the office tomorrow and work hard.  It's a nice feeling.  Pour me another glass, please.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Beyond awesome, isn't it? I turned 38 in November. In December I went to my 10-years-younger sisters' Xmas party and had the same experience. All night: "You're thirty-EIGHT?! You have THREE kids?!" Best.Party.EVER.

    ReplyDelete