Saturday, December 31, 2011

Wishes, and the year ahead

It's the last day of 2011, and the last day of my thirties. It is absolutely gorgeous outside. I woke up to a quiet house and made myself a big awesome breakfast. I am dining with my family tonight at my favorite spot, and then Sarah and I are going to another party where we will send Chinese lanterns out into the night with our wishes, and say goodbye to 2011.

I don't have my wish formulated yet. I am not sure what to wish for. And it feels really important, this wish. By tonight, I'll have it. And out it will go, floating in the night air, in a pretty lantern, along with my first four decades of living.

I am pretty much planning a year-long celebration of forty. I mean, why the hell not? I am turning forty in such a happy, healthy place.

I have a big birthday party in Vegas in a week and a half. If you're wondering why you weren't invited, it's on a Wednesday night and I'm tacking it on to the beginning of a work trip. This party is all of my friends from work (plus one or two who are coming out for it), who conveniently happen to be some of my very best friends. There is a suite, and there are reservations, and there is shopping to be done and much anticipation. I will be purchasing some fabulous, inappropriate for forty, dress that looks kick-ass with my new boots. And yes, Internet, you will definitely get some pictures.

Then in March, it's a week in Maui. With two of my best friends who turned forty a couple of months before me. The goal there? I want to be happy enough with my body to post a picture of myself in a bikini on Facebook. You heard it here first.

And here is what I've just added. I'm going to Europe in June, while Sarah is at camp, by myself. A friend of mine is going to connect me with his friends across the pond. I will go to the places I've always wanted to see and then let the wind, and strangers, take me where they will.

Thank you for reading, and being supportive of my writing. So many of you pull me aside and tell me that you enjoy my blog and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. It's fun to write, and it's even more fun to know that you enjoy reading it. I wish each of you a happy, healthy, prosperous New Year. I hope 2012 is wonderful for all of us.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday my beautiful friend. I hope you enjoy every minute of your "year of turning 40" and I look forward to doing some celebrating with you myself.

    Hugs and love,

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! You are such an awesome supportive friend. I appreciate you! We need to go toast to both of our birthdays! And you are the first to wish me a happy birthday behind this random dude I don't really know who wished me HB a few weeks ago, my dentist, and someone who sold me a car in 2009.

    ReplyDelete